Thursday, September 16, 2010

What's This?

Apparently there is more to my cantaloupe plant than I thought. I always found it so interesting how there were two different types of leaves on the vine and it often made me question if it really was a cantaloupe vine. Well, I think I have found out why there are two types of leaves... because there are two types of vines growing right beside (and intertwined with) eachother. The past week I was watching as this odd looking melon started to form. It looks like a squash and that is because it IS a squash. Today I finally went through all the large leaves to find the base of each plant and they are about 4 inches from eachother. So, I have a cantaloupe plant and some sort of squash plant as a bonus!

But, what kind of squash is it??? I haven't figured that out yet.


Squash and Canteloupe fruits growing side by side.

The best-looking cantaloupe growing on the vine.
 
I found a great website today about how to get rid of squash bugs using dish soap mixed with water. IT WORKS and oh how gratifying to watch them die!
http://www.elperfecto.com/2010/06/25/squash-bugs-what-are-they-and-how-to-get-rid-of-them/

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...well, my best guess is that it's a butternut squash that will pale in color as it ripens; unless it's a hybrid cantaloupe/butternut. Or, it could be none of the above. :) Now that could prove to be rather interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ate it a few days ago and it tasted similar to a butternut squash. That is my best guess, but I am no expert on squash.

    ReplyDelete